mardi 24 septembre 2013

[...I'm stuck in Folsom prison, and time keeps draggin' on...]

lisez moi en français




heya !!

you know what ? yesterday was my month-anniversary of my arrival in my aupair family !

a whole month full of disny channel and mac and cheese
it went so freaking fast...

incidentally, it also means i only have one month left to get a New Jersey driving licence. explicación

on monday 9th, i got pulled over by a police officer who, although doubtlessly very zealous, was also deeply unaware of the laws of his state : he gave me a ticket and a court date for driving with an international driving licence




so last wednesday, we went to the court in Summit, me and my ticket.
i was told to go into the courthouse, where i sat among other law offenders, facing the juge.
then my name was called, and i was kinda nervous, especially when the juge started explaining how driving without a licence was a big offence to the law and asking me if i wanted an attorney.





yeaaaah...no.

when he finally let me speak, i was able to tell him that i do have a french and an international driving licence..
...which he answered by an exasperated : "what are you even doing here ?!"
well, darling, i've been asking this question myself...




so i got redirected to the prosecutor's office, whom, after making everyone wait for THREE AND A HALF HOURS, finally called my name
that's when i realized that police officers are not the only ones who do not know the law. nope. prosecutors don't either.
really, i'm not exaggerating this : here's the report of the official dialogue between the prosecutor and me...
(in the battle versus stereotypes, mister prosecutor is in pink, i'm in blue)


-so you were driving without a licence ?
-not at all, i had both my french and my international driving licence
-oh yeah, we don't take those, you need a new jersey driving licence
-yes, but surely you can't expect me to have the licence as soon as i arrive in New Jersey, the law must give me some time to get it, right ?
-yeah, i guess. But i don't know how long you have... (he really said that. not kidding)



-well actually, i brought the extract of the Motorized Vehicle Commission and it says i'm allowed to 60 days, and during this time my international licence is valid...
-...and how long have you been here ?
-less than a month
-well then...case dismissed.

...seriously...




the thing is, because on top of the whole driving licence thing, the registration was expired -and even if it's not my fault, i was the one driving so the ticket is at my name- i had to go back into the courthouse and plead guilty for that to the judge.
like really. i had to say the words "i plead guilty", like in the films 

then the judge said to me in a paternalistic-condescending tone "so, young lady, don't forget your registration next time!"
besides the fact that IT'S NoT MY CaR FoR CHRIST'S SaKE, i would have gladly trampled his face with his little hammer just for calling me "young lady"




then i had to pay the fine and the court fees for the registration thing, which my boss paid me back later. hello, 122 dollars for a very small offence, welcome to america, land of the free !

so that was my little journey through the american justice system
that way, when i end up in front of a classroom teaching about the justice system of the usa, i'll have a first-hand experience to share with my students.


i'm sure i'll get so much credibility from getting myself a court date and pleading guilty less than three weeks after moving to the states.



like the crazy reckless teacher who drives without licence !!
WHO GIVES A SHIT YOLO FUCK THE POLICE









i tried to find a song talking about the justice system for the title, but it's not really an easy task.
so i chose Folsom Prison Blues by Johnny Cash [x], it was either that, or Jailer by Asha, but the lyrics worked better..
ok, i was stuck at court, not in prison, but it's close enough....

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire